Wednesday, August 8, 2007

What should I do? - Devotion for 8/8/07

What should I do? – Devotion for 8/8/07

Think about how many times in your life you have been faced with some sort of difficult decision and you just don’t know what to do. Many times in those circumstances we may talk to friends or family about what is going on. Some of the times people will seek out a pastor hoping for some sort of wise council. On many occasions I have encountered people at the altar rail at the close of the worship service as they seek God’s guidance regarding something going on in their life. We turn to family; we turn to friends; we turn to trusted advisors; we turn to God. But ultimately, how do we know what to do?

This morning as I was reading from the book of James, I read the following verses: “But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind” (James 1:5-6). That passage reminded me about all the times that I have been questioning what I should do, and how there are those times that I am reluctant to approach God in full faith. That reluctance derives from the foreknowledge of what God is going to tell me, and that is not always what I really want to hear. And so instead of seeking God’s wisdom and counsel (which I already know via the Holy Spirit), I toss and turn and bounce around like a piece of driftwood in the ocean.

I saw an example of this kind of thing this past weekend on our family excursion to Kings Dominion. My youngest son Aaron is not as adventurous as his brother when it comes to roller coasters, and some roller coasters Aaron simply will not ride. However, he still likes the excitement and adventure of riding them, so he is torn over which ones he can handle, and which ones he can not. As we were preparing to ride on one of the coasters on Sunday, Aaron was becoming quite concerned over whether or not he should ride it. You could see him visibly worried as we walked towards the line, and he just seemed to be turning around in circles going back and forth between riding it and walking away. He knew not to ask me if he should ride it, because I would truly encourage him and assure him that everything would be fine, so he would look at me and start to ask, but then turn right back around. Ultimately, Aaron did ask, and I did assure him that it would be fine, and in the end he loved the ride and was so happy that he had ridden it – in fact, he rode that same coaster about 5 more times over the weekend.

Right now you may find yourself tossing and turning about what you should do in a situation. Put aside any fear of what God’s answer may be, and ask for His wisdom regarding the matters at hand. Only be faithfully prepared that God will give you the guidance and answers that you seek, and be ready to be faithful to following His counsel.

“Therefore, O Lord, give me true heavenly wisdom, that I may learn to seek you and to find you, and above all things to love you, and to understand and know all other things as they are, after the direction of your wisdom, and not otherwise. And give me grace, also, to withdraw myself from those who flatter me, and patiently to tolerate those who grieve me so that the way I have begun will bring me to a good and blessed ending.”

- The Imitation of Christ, by Thomas à Kempis

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.