Monday, August 13, 2007

Sharing snacks - Devotion for 8/13/07

Sharing snacks – Devotion for 8/13/07

Each night before they go to bed, my sons like to have a small snack as they watch a little bit of TV. Although they are getting old enough that they could go in there and get the snacks for themselves, usually Jennifer and I go get it taken care of so that we don’t have to clean up their mess later. Once we have gotten the snacks for them, we bring them out and we spend a few minutes watching whatever TV program is on. The funny thing is that inevitably I will not have gotten a snack for myself, and inevitably I am going to want at least a little bit of whatever snack they are eating. It is funny how possessive they can become over something that I gave to them in the first place. After all, I (or my wife) was the one who purchased the snack at the grocery store with the money that I earned. I am the one who got the snack out of the package and put it into a bowl for them. I am even the one who brought the bowl containing the snack and put it in front of them to enjoy. So it seems a little silly to me when I ask for just a small portion that they would gripe about it. All I want is a little bit – I mean, I can go in the kitchen and get all that I want if I desire – I just want them to give me a little bit. Conversely, it warms my heart so much when I don’t even have to ask, and one of them turns to me and says, “Dad, here – do you want some?”

At the end of 1 Chronicles, in chapter 29 King David is making a final offering to God, and David seems to recognize where his “snacks” came from. “But who am I am who are my people that we should be able to offer as generously as this? For all things comes from You, and from Your hand we have given You.” (1 Chronicles 29:14) I think when we remember that “all things come from You,” then sharing what we have with God should become a bit easier. Don’t wait for God to ask for it – warm His heart by giving over and above what little He asks for.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.