Wednesday, August 15, 2007

From generation to generation - Devotion for 8/15/07

From generation to generation – Devotion for 8/15/07

Last September my grandfather passed. My granddad was some kind of fun to be around. I loved when he and I would get a chance to just sit around and talk, and usually it would lead to us joking around and remembering some of the silly times. I knew that I wanted to get to share some of the memories of my granddaddy at the funeral, but it was so difficult to try to think of exactly what to share. I finally was able to share a few memories that gave a snapshot of who my grandfather was, but the most important thing I think I said was about how my grandfather had changed the world. You may have never heard the name Badger Fenton Seate, but you have certainly felt his impact as this man had the opportunity to touch the lives of thousands upon thousands.

Was my grandfather someone famous? Nope – you won’t even find his name if you searched it on Google. Was he rich? Not by worldly terms. Was he powerful? Well, he did have a strong grip, but powerful in the sense of political power – not so much. So how did he touch the lives of “thousands upon thousands”? Because he was a man of influence within his own home. Within his home he helped shape and mold three children. He taught them the ways of God. He taught them to pray. He taught them to respect God. He taught them to respect each other. He taught them to love as God loved. Through his home he changed the world. Because those 3 children have made a difference in the lives of thousands – one teaching Sunday School, one singing in the choir, and one serving as a minister. Those 3 children who my granddaddy shaped and formed have subsequently passed on what he taught them to their own children, who have subsequently been passing on to their own children. The spectrum of influence of this one man from Oxford, NC has been felt around the world – because if you are reading this today, you too have felt the impact of that simple auto mechanic who loved God with all his heart, mind, soul, strength, and body. And I will never forget his words that he spoke to me as his wife of 60+ years lay in a bed next to him dying – “I don’t care if I live to be 150 years old – there still will not be enough days to give God all the praise He’s due.” This one man has touched the lives of thousands upon thousands as his children (and their children) have continued to hand down what he handed down to them – the love of God.

That is how I understand each one of us can change the world. Each one of us can change the world by shaping and molding those within our own homes. To make a difference in the world we don’t have to have mass revivals (although those are great). To make a difference in the world, we just have to look within our own homes. Psalm 145:4 states, “One generation shall praise Your works to another, and shall declare Your mighty acts.” Make a difference today. Let your influence be felt as you share the praise of God from one generation to another. One day you too may be remembered as having influenced thousands because of what you begin in your own home.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.