Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Anti-skeptic Living - Devotion for 8/7/07

Anti-skeptic Living – Devotion for 8/7/07

“We’ll see about that.” Isn’t that one of the things we say when we really don’t believe something is going to happen or be done? I say it every now and then when my sons tell me that they are going to pick up their room and do all their chores without complaining, and I’ll say “We’ll see about that.” I say it every now and then when Jennifer tells me she plans on heading home from her Raleigh office at a certain time, and I say “we’ll see about that.” She says it when I tell her I’ll be home from a meeting at a certain time and she says, “We’ll see about that.” In many situations we become skeptical about things, and being the true skeptics that we are, we won’t believe it until we see it. You may try to tell me that you’re not that way, and you know what I’d say? “We’ll see about that.”

This morning I was reading from Romans 4, and in this passage Paul is reminding us of the faith that Abraham had. He reminds us about how old Abraham was when God made the promise that he would become the father of a great nation. “Without becoming weak in faith he contemplated his own body, now as good as dead since he was about a hundred years old, and the deadness of Sarah’s womb; yet with respect to the promise of God, he did not waver in unbelief but grew strong in faith, giving glory to God, and being fully assured that what God had promised, He was able also to perform” (Romans 4:19-21). I am reminded about how easy it would have been for Abraham to have said to God “We’ll see about that” when God made that promise to him. As Paul stated, all he had to do was consider his own old age, and the barrenness of his wife who had not yet given him the first child. He could have considered all the failures and quickly become a skeptic. But instead, he made a choice to have faith. Skepticism comes easy after repeated failures; but faith can become stronger in the midst of tribulations. Let us too live a life without that skepticism, believing that the God who has promised to take care of us has the means and the ability to do so. Let us too believe in spite of the difficulties around us that God has a plan and a purpose, even if it is one that we can not yet see.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.