Friday, June 8, 2007

Whole lotta love - Devotion for 6/8/07

Whole Lotta Love – Devotion for 6/8/07

This morning I was reading from Luke 7 and the story about Jesus eating at the home of a Pharisee and a “sinful woman” came up and “washed his feet with her tears and to dry them with her hair” (Luke 7:38). We are told she continues on kissing his feet and anointing them with ointment. Well, the Pharisees seem to have an issue with this, thinking that if Jesus was any kind of a prophet, he would have known what kind of woman was touching him. Jesus uses this moment as a teaching moment, as he usually does, and goes on to give the parable of the creditor with 2 debtors – one owing 500 denarii, and the other 50. He asks them if the creditor forgave the debt of the 2 who would love the creditor more? The answer is obvious – the one owing 500. Jesus goes on and talks about what the woman has done, and yet the host of the house has not yet offered to wash his feet, which was customary hospitality. “Therefore, I tell you, her sins, which were many, have been forgiven; hence she has shown great love. But the one to whom little is forgiven, loves little” (Luke 7:47).

I know that based on this passage, I am one who must truly give Jesus a whole lotta love. I know I have much that has been forgiven, and I know that I should show my gratitude to him every day. Every day I need to say “thank you” for that forgiveness both with my prayers and my deeds. Think about it – when you let someone into your lane on a crowded road, don’t you at least want a little hand wave of gratitude. When I let someone in and they don’t offer at least that little “thank you” wave, it makes me mad, and it makes me want to go around them and then cut them off . . . which is another reason I have a whole lotta love for Jesus, because I don’t always do the right thing. But I can try – and so can you. Let’s show Jesus a lotta love.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.