Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Paying Attention - Devotion for 6/26/07

Paying Attention – Devotion for 6/26/07

I can walk in my house and tell what kind of mood everyone is in just by looking at them. I call tell if I have done (or not done) something that has upset my wife simply by the way she will look at me. I can tell if my boys are happy, upset, in the midst of mischief, or whatever just by looking at them. I can even tell if my dog has gotten into something he shouldn’t have just by the way he will put his head down and look up at me with those sad eyes. All of these things are just a part of non-verbal communication, and we are all masters at it. If someone lets you in on a busy highway, you offer them the non-verbal hand wave letting them know you are grateful for their generosity. If you end up cutting someone off on said highway, they have their own non-verbal communication gesture that they are ready to demonstrate to you – and no, they don’t think you’re number 1. Guys and gals searching for potential mates have their own non-verbal communication, something that must be mastered to be able to pick up that fine dude/lady and the local watering hole. There are tons of non-verbal communication signs out there, but sometimes we miss them. And what happens when we miss them? The non-verbal signs usually become a little more verbal. If I walk in and don’t realize that my wife is angry, she will eventually let me know. If the boys are upset, and I haven’t picked up on it, they will eventually let me know. But truth be told, if I was not so focused on myself, then I would have had to be told – I would have paid attention to the non-verbal signs they were giving.

I believe that God everyday sends us plenty of non-verbal communication, and I think that we send God plenty of non-verbal signs as well. Proverbs 20:12 states, “Ears that hear and eyes that see – the Lord has made them both.” As the Lord made both eyes and ears, you can be assured He expects us to use both. Today, I believe that God will try to sends us all sorts of non-verbal communication – will we pay attention? Today, I believe that we will give God all sorts of non-verbal communication – what will we be saying?

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.