Thursday, June 28, 2007

Long way to go (short time to get there) - Devotion for 6/28/07

Long way to go (short time to get there) – Devotion for 6/28/07

I have a confession to make. When I was a child, one of my favorite movies was “Smokey and the Bandit.” In 1977, that was a huge hit. Who couldn’t love that movie? You had the cool car (black Trans Am with the eagle on the hood), you had the hot girl (hey, Sally Fields was da bomb back then), and you had a great soundtrack. OK – maybe the soundtrack wasn’t that great, but if you’ve ever seen the movie, I’ll be you at least remember one song – “We’ve got a long way to go, and a short time to get there . . .” Jerry Reed’s Eastbound and Down (I had to look up the title to the song – I had not idea that is what it is called!), was a memorable hit that just sort of sticks in my head whenever I am driving somewhere.

In reading 2 Corinthians 4:7-18, I get the feeling that that song was stuck in Paul’s head too (yeah – Jerry Reed is that old). “For momentary light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, while we look not at the things which are not seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal”(2 Cor. 4:17-18). We really do only have a short time here on earth in the grand scheme of things. Recognizing the brevity of our own existence motivates us in a few different ways. One, it lets us know we better get going – working to fulfill whatever purpose God has placed us here on this earth for. Two, it lets us know that the suffering and struggles that we have hear on this earth will only last a short while. Today, let’s get moving. We’ve got a Smokey (the devil) on our tail trying to keep us from reaching our goal. We’ve got a long way to go, and a short time to get there – I’m eastbound, watch ole’ Bandit run!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.