Wednesday, June 6, 2007

My drill - Devotion for 6/6/07

My drill – Devotion for 6/6/07

I own a drill. I’m not really sure why I own a drill. I’ve not used said drill very much, maybe twice. But I own a drill. I have a drill because I asked for a drill for Christmas one year, and so it was given to me. Because I was given a drill, I decided that I needed to also own a set of drill bits and other assorted attachments. After all, what’s the point of having a drill if you don’t have the attachments to be able to utilize the drill. Yet, I own a drill, and it really is of no use to me. Maybe one day something will need to be drilled . . . maybe.

Sometimes I think that we as Christians forget why we are saved. Some of us from the time that we were children we were taught about the love of Jesus Christ, and that he gave himself up for us, that “whosoever believeth in Him shall have eternal life.” At some point in our lives we have come to a true belief and understanding that we are sinners, and we accept that Christ died for our sins, and only through our belief in Him may we enter the gates of Heaven. But sometimes, it seems as though we think the journey ends there. Think about it – God paid the price for your life with the life of His son. Like my drill, do we think that God received our souls and then just wants them to sit on a shelf collecting dust?

Ephesians 2 reminds us that we are all saved by grace, not by our works. Ephesians 2:8-10 reads, “For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that wee would walk in them.” I love that part “created in Christ Jesus for good works.” It reminds us that it is not enough just for us to become a possession of God, but we must then be ready to be used by God. Today, look for the ways you can be a “drill” that gets used for God. Trust me – it’s a “hole-y” thing.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.