Friday, June 22, 2007

Bad Attitude - Devotion for 6/22/07

Bad Attitude – Devotion for 6/22/07

Being the father of two boys ages 9 and 7, occasionally I have to put up with a bad attitude (I know, shocking, isn’t it?). Sometimes as we are preparing to go somewhere one of them will just not want to go and they will get a royal sullen attitude –something that I am confident will not get worse as they get older. As that attitude continues, it usually makes me just want to tell them, “You are going to have a good time whether you like it or not!” However, I have tried that tactic, and surprisingly it did not work too well. I have attempted many tactics to get them out of the bad attitude as we are going somewhere or doing something, and usually almost nothing works. However, the one thing that does seem to work with my 2 boys (at least for now) is when I tell them that if they have a miserable attitude about it, they will have a miserable time. But if they change their attitude and bring a good attitude, they will have a good time. I let them know that they are the ones who will determine whether or not it is a good day or a bad day by what they put into it. Sometimes that works – sometimes it doesn’t.

I thought about our attitudes as I read 2 Corinthians 9:6-15. This passage states, “Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously”(2 Corinthians 9:6). The author is in the middle of writing about how he and others have been testifying to the generosity of the people of Corinth, and that he is hoping that they will continue to give in the generous way that they have been giving. However, the passage continues that the sowing that we do should be done with a good attitude, not doing it because they have to, but because they want to – “for God loves a cheerful giver”(2 Cor. 9:7). Again, it really seems like it is about our attitude, not just our actions. Our actions mean nothing if our attitude about them reflect something different. Have you ever said something sarcastically? I have spoken sarcastically maybe once or twice (hey – no comment!). You may say one thing, but by the tone and the way you say it, it is very obvious that is not what you really meant. If the attitude we have about giving is that we are giving “because I have to,” then we may be giving, but not with a good attitude. You will get out of it whatever you put into it. Same thing for every day of our life.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.