Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Successful friendship - Devotion for 10/10/07

Successful friendship – Devotion for 10/10/07

This morning as I was reading from 1 Samuel 18, I got to thinking about the friendship that David and Jonathan had with one another. Throughout David’s life, we can see how genuine the friendship between David and Jonathan was, no matter what Jonathan’s father Saul did (or attempted) to him. I think that the friendship that they had was a part of the reason David was so successful in almost everything he did. A good friend will encourage and support you to success. A good friend will hold you accountable and point you back in the right direction towards success. I believe that these two had that type of friendship – the type that allows you to talk openly and honestly with one another – the type that allows you to correct one another – the type that allows you to encourage one another.

Do you have that type of friendship with someone? Maybe it is with your spouse – I know that my wife truly serves as that type of friend to me, helping to hold me accountable and correcting me (in a loving way . . . usually) when I need to get back on track. Maybe it is with someone else - I have another friend, Jay, that for years I have been able to call on to talk through difficult things, and also to enjoy the fellowship of simply “clowning” around with one another. Today, give thanks for those friendships that we have that help build us up, encourage us, and make us stronger. I believe that the friendship between Jonathan and David demonstrated to God that David had the capability to care for someone other than himself. Let us look to make one another successful through our friendships as we look beyond just ourselves.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.