Monday, October 22, 2007

Finishing sentences - Devotion for 10/22/07

Finishing sentences – Devotion for 10/22/07

Many of us have a friend or 2 that knows us so well that they can finish our own sentences and thought before we do. Jay Locklear is one of those friends of mine that can do that to me – Jay seems to know what I’m going to say before I even do. Jay and I have played music together on a variety of occasions over the past few years, and there have been so many times where we have been playing, and we look at each as if to ask, “What do you want to play next?”, and almost instantaneously we start playing exactly the same song. We’ve just played too much music together to not know what the other one is thinking. Same thing with anyone that is close to you that knows what you’re thinking before you even say, or they finish your thought as you are saying it – it is a result of the familiarity that they have with you due to the amount of time they have spent with you.

“O Lord, You have searched me and known me. You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You understand my though from afar. You scrutinize my path and my lying down, and are intimately acquainted with all my ways. Even before there is a word on my tongue, Behold, O Lord, You know it all.” (Psalm 139:1-4) God know knows all of your thoughts before you even say them because of how well He knows you. He knows what you’re going to do next, not because He has ordered you to do it, but because He simply knows what you’re going to do in virtually all situations. He is intimately acquainted with all of your ways. He could finish just about any sentence you could begin because He is that good of a friend.

Could we live up to a similar standard with regards to our friendship with God? I’m asking if we spend enough time with God, know Him well enough, that we know His words, His plans, His desires for us? As David went on in Psalm 139:6, “Such knowledge is too wonderful me; It is too high, I cannot attain to it.” But that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t keep reaching to draw as close to God as He is close to us.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.