Thursday, October 25, 2007

I.O.U. - Devotion for 10/25/07

Debt is a four-letter word. Usually that title – “four letter word” – is used to categorize certain cuss words such as “%$&*” and “#@?>” (come on, you didn’t think I’d actually include them, did you?), and I believe that debt belongs in such a category. It truly is amazing how quickly and easily debt can spring up on someone. Think about a student that heads off to college (that is financed via college loans). That student arrives on campus and is offered a “free” t-shirt and other assorted goodies just for applying for a new “low-interest” Student Visa card. After growing tired of the campus meal plan, that Visa card provides an attractive option as he or she can go off campus to get some real food. After 4 years (or 7, if you’re an NC State grad – hehehehe) of college, you matriculate with probably at least $33K in college loans and debt accumulated from those late night trips to Taco Bell (open till 3AM!). Finding a new job after college, one has to spruce up the wardrobe and maybe even need a new car, so again more debt is charged and incurred. Love struck, the fellow buys a diamond ring on credit which costs far more than he can actually afford, but he really wants to “prove” his love. Fortunately Mom and Dad are helping with the actual wedding costs, but the happy couple wants a honeymoon that they will remember for the rest of their lives, so they plan an elaborate week-long cruise. When they get home (with plenty of souvenirs for everyone), they settle into their beautiful new home, which is way too big for just the 2 of them, but just right for when they start a family. Kids come along, cars break down, taxes come due . . . get the idea why that word “debt” is such a dirty word?

But debt seems to be a fact of life. My hope is that by the time Jacob and Aaron earn their scholarships to play soccer at Duke, the debt that Jennifer and I incurred through our education will be paid off. I think it is interesting that to have a good credit rating, you actually have to incur some debt. Something seems backwards about that to me. Paul brings up debt in the book of Romans – “Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.” (Romans 13:8) Somehow I always get caught up in that “owe nothing.” Why is being in debt to someone such a bad thing? Because it limits what you can do with what you have. Debt is usually a sign of us living beyond what we actually have. It is a promise, “if you give this to me now, I will give you that when I get it.” As faithful Christians, God wants us all to be healthy within our soul, our body, and yes also in our wallet. If you’re in debt like me, don’t become overwhelmed by that huge mountain before you. How do you scale a mountain? One step at a time. Every day work to make the mountain smaller by paying more, and work to not make the mountain bigger, by living as close to within your means as possible. Trust me – I’m not just preaching to the choir on this one.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.