Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Concealed Faith - Devotion for 10/17/07

Concealed Belief – Devotion for 10/17/07

I remember there was a time that I didn’t want people to know that my dad was a preacher. Once they found out I was a PK (preacher’s kid) they would automatically make one of 2 assumptions: either I was a “goody-goody Holy roller” or I was “Hell on wheels.” It was embarrassing to me either way, because even if I was thought of as “Hell on wheels,” people still assumed that I had the same faith that my dad did, and that was something I didn’t want people to think. I’ve said it before how embarrassed I used to get when our family would be eating at a restaurant and we would say a prayer of blessing over the meal – I felt like everyone in the world was staring! Yes, in this world full of stereotypes, I remember wanting to keep my dad’s vocation and our faith concealed.

As I’ve been reading from Matthew 10 this week, it seems to really be hitting me how much Jesus is pressing on us living a life that reveals our faith. The passage I read today was Matthew 10:24-42, three times Jesus encourages his disciples to not fear what might happen as their faith is revealed through their preaching, teaching, and living. In that same passage, He also offers this: “Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.” (Matthew 10:32-33) Let’s live a life that doesn’t deny the presence of Christ in our lives. That doesn’t mean go push your faith down the throat of your co-workers (they wouldn’t appreciate that much, probably). But you can live a life that proclaims the good news of Jesus Christ and models the love that Christ showed you.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.