Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Tuned in - Devotion for 9/11/07

Tuned in – Devotion for 9/11/07

Have you ever noticed how good you are at tuning something out? Maybe it’s the sound of planes constantly flying overhead, or the sound of cars incessantly driving past your house – whatever it is, we have an amazing ability to selectively tune out some of the things we don’t want to hear. For example, as a kid when I would be sitting in front of the TV furiously playing Pitfall on the Atari, I developed the skill of tuning out the voice of my mother when she would tell me I needed to turn off the game. Amazingly enough, my sons must have inherited the same ability.

Today I give thanks that God is incapable of tuning us out. God loves us so much that He tunes in for every word of every prayer that we ever utter. In the mysterious ways of God, He is intimately tuned in to us, and God is eager to listen to us. This morning I read Psalm 141, and I was struck by the first verse: “O Lord, I call upon You; hasten to me! Give ear to my voice when I call to You!” I think all the exclamation points really made me pay attention. David was really emphasizing his need for God to tune in to him at that moment, and I know that we all can relate to those times. There are those moments when we are really in need of God hearing our prayers, and we feel that same desperation that David did. The good news is that we don’t have to try to get God’s attention. He is always tuned in.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.