Friday, September 28, 2007

My Dad can beat up your Dad - Devotion for 9/28/07

My Dad can beat up your Dad – Devotion for 9/28/07

“My Dad can beat up your Dad!” As a PK (Preacher’s Kid), we had another version of this: “My Dad can preach better than your Dad!” Of course, I’m sure that BK’s (no, not Burger King, but Baker’s Kids) probably had a different version: “My Dad can out-bake your Dad!” And again, I’m sure that OK’s (Optometrist’s Kids) probably had still a different version: “My Dad help people see better than your Dad!” As kids, I hope we all kinda looked up to our parents and thought in many ways that our parents were the best. We looked up to them with admiration and we were super impressed with their size, strength, and abilities. We had so much faith in them that we would easily make comments such as “My Dad can beat up your Dad,” fully believing and having all confidence that he could.

We have a God that we can have that same kind of confidence in. We have a God that time and time again has done it all – from creating a masterpiece (take a look in the mirror – you’ll see what I mean) to kicking the butt of the enemy (take a look at any of the Old Testament battles where God intervened – sometimes with just loud noise, other times with hail and fire). We can’t have too much confidence in our own actions, because comparatively speaking we are weak and unreliable. Paul reminded us as he defended his own ministry in 2 Corinthians 10 that if we boast or brag on anything, the thing we should boast in is our Dad – God. “For we do not want to baost about work already done in another man’s territory. But, ‘Let him who boasts boast in the Lord.’” (2 Corinthians 10:16b-17)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.