Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"How do I do this?" - Devotion for 9/18/07

“How do I do this?” – Devotion for 9/18/07

I know I’m modest, but I have to admit that my two sons are absolutely brilliant. I could brag about how smart they are, but I really don’t need to – after all, what else would you expect from my own offspring? (Just in case you didn’t know, there was just a little bit of sarcasm there.) All of that being said, homework time becomes quite a bit of a stressful time. They come home from school and first they want a snack. Then they want to pet the cats and the dog. Then they want to fight – well, I don’t know if that’s what they want to do – it’s just usually what happens. Finally they get settled down to open up their folders and books to begin working on their assignments. Before long, the boys will begin to seek out the assistance of whoever is home and available at the time – “Mooooommmmm, I need heeelllllp” (in a very whiny little tone). “Daaaa-ad, I don’t get thissssssss.” They bring the problem to us, or beg us to come to them, and as almost every time it really is something they already know how to do. I don’t have to do much other than clarify what is actually being asked and then they realize, “Oh – I know how to do that.” So it seems that we play this game going back and forth, with them asking for help when it really is something that they don’t need help on – they’ve just gotten side-tracked on other things and they have overlooked what is really being asked.

Sometimes that’s the way our lives get. Sometimes we overwhelmed by all the activities and stressors in our life that when we hit a little problem, we think that we are in a crisis. Many times when we turn to God in the midst of those “crises” and we seek His help, God has already provided us with the knowledge of how to handle them. We already know the answers, but we just seem to be having a difficult time sorting them out in the right order. I love that when God asked Solomon, “Ask what you wish me to give you,” that all that Solomon asked for was “an understanding heart to judge Your people to discern between good and evil.” (1 Kings 3:5, 9) Solomon wanted God’s wisdom to help him sort out all the answers to the problems that would arise. He knew that the answers would already be there – God’s wisdom would help him put them in order. Today, as we face those problems and issues that arise, and as we begin to cry out for help, recognize that God has probably already presented the solution to you. We’ve just got to seek His wisdom to recognize how it is to be done.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.