Monday, September 24, 2007

Praying the fog away - Devotion for 9/24

Praying the fog away – Devotion for 9/24/07

This morning in my devotion time, I read about the faith of an evangelist from the 1800s – George Müller. As I read this, I realized that these words would be a great word for anyone to read today. It seems that Mr. Müller was on a voyage aboard a ship that had encountered a very dense fog. Because of the severity of the situation the captain had stayed on the bridge continuously for twenty-four hours. Eventually Mr. Müller came to him and said, “Captain, I have come to tell you that I must be in Quebec on Saturday afternoon.” The captain informed him that considering the fog and the distance that getting to Quebec on Saturday would simply be impossible, to which Mr. Müller replied, “Very well, if your ship can’t take me God will find some other means of locomotion to take me. I have never broken an engagement in fifty-seven years. Let us go down to the chart room and pray.”

The two of them went down to the chart room, and the captain thought to himself, “What lunatic asylum could the man have come from? I never heard of such a thing.” The captain interjected to his determined passenger, “Mr. Müller, do you know how dense this fog is?”

“No,” he replied, “my eye is not on the density of the fog, but on the living God, who controls every circumstance in my life.” Mr. Müller then got down on his knees and prayed a simple prayer, a prayer that the captain though would be suitable for an 8 year old child. When he had finished praying, the captain was beginning to pray, but Müller put his hand on the shoulder of the captain and told him not to pray.

“Firstly, because you do not believe God will, and secondly, I believe that God has, and there is no need whatever for you to prayer about it.” Astonished, the captain just looked at him as Müller continued, “Captain, I have known my Lord for fifty-seven years, and there has never been a single day that I have failed to get an audience with the King. Get up and open the door, and you will find that the fog is gone.”

Indeed, when the two exited the chart room they both saw that the fog was indeed gone, and George Müller was in Quebec Saturday afternoon for his engagement.

Today, let us go to God with that same faith.

This story can be found in greater detail in I Will Lift Up Mine Eyes, by Glenn Clark.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.