Thursday, September 18, 2008

On your own - Devotion for 9/18/08

On your own – Devotion for 9/18/08

I love the book of Genesis. I love the story of Abram, and I love Sarai’s laughter. I love the story of Jacob, and who in the world couldn’t love Joseph – the comeback kid. Of course, we all “noah” about the flood as well. But as I’ve been teaching this book the past couple of weeks, one particular verse has really stuck with me – “Then the Lord God said, ‘It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.’”(Genesis 2:18) What that says to me is that God never intended for us to be alone. Granted, I do think it is kind of funny that after God said he would make a suitable helper, the very first things He creates as that suitable helper are every beast of the field and every bird of the sky. I’m all about animal rights, and I love my pets, but I can see where Adam wasn’t exactly pleased with these animals as a suitable helper. So ultimately, God made woman – who led all of humanity down the path to sin (just kidding!).

We are not intended to be alone in this world. God intends for us to be connected with others. Too many times we try to tackle difficulties in our lives on our own. Too many times we try to make a drastic change in our lifestyle on our own. Too many times we think of prayer as something we do on our own. Too many times we think of . . . well, just about everything - on our own. But God knew that “on our own” was not good. I think it is interesting that when Jesus was asked to basically sum up the Law, he did so not just by emphasizing the love of God, but he also brought in the love of neighbor. If we learn anything from the book of Genesis, let us know that God does not intend for us to be alone in this world. Whatever struggles, whatever burdens, whatever worries or fears – God has always wanted us to be in community. What are you keeping to yourself, on your own?

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.