Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Blanket of Protection - Devotion for 9/16/08

Blanket of Protection – Devotion for 9/16/08

I remember when I was little how I would sometimes get afraid at night. I will never forget one night when I was there in my bed, already somewhat fearful from some of the noises I was hearing. Apparently I did eventually drift off to sleep, but in the midst of my sleep I rolled over. When I did roll over my hand must have knocked a picture that was hanging on the wall above my bed. I awoke to the sounds of this big picture frame swinging back and forth on the wood paneling wall, and all I could do was scream and hide under my blanket! Since I’m so “manly” now, I’m sure that is difficult for you to imagine, but it is true. After all, would you think it is a pretty scary thing to have a picture swinging up above your head? Yes – I was 23 . . . but still!

I still think it is funny that I would take refuge under my blanket, as if my blanket was made of steel or iron that would protect me. But I also know that I am not alone as one who would hide under a blanket (admit it – you know you did). Somehow we could hide under the blanket and hope and pray that it would provide us with protection in our desperate time of need. Sometimes I still want to hide under the blanket . . . it always felt safe there.

This morning as I read Psalm 3, I think about some of the troubles David was going through at the time he wrote this Psalm. David’s son Absalom had killed his brother Amnon (deservedly so, but that’s a different story), and then he had fled for 3 years. When Absalom finally returned, he began to set up plans to overthrow his father, which he ultimately did, which caused David to become the one who flees. In Psalm 3, David is lamenting his troubles, but in the midst of acknowledging how his adversaries have increased, David proclaims this: “But You, O Lord, are a shield about me, My glory, and the One who lifts my head.”(Psalm 3:3) David has taken refuge under his “blanket of protection” – the Lord God. Maybe you are facing attacks – maybe you are facing storms – maybe you are facing fear – draw near and be covered up by the blanket of protection that is the Lord God. Cry out to Him, and recognize His presence.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.