Thursday, September 25, 2008

Finding Faith - Devotion for 9/25/07

Finding faith – Devotion for 9/25/08

My sons Jacob and Aaron have learned how to get their way. If one of them wants a snack after they get home from school, they know exactly what to say, and exactly how many times they have to say it, because I can only take but so much whining, moaning, and groaning from Hungry and Starving (their new names) before I cave in and let them have something. Same with my wife and same with my pets (not that I am in any way saying there is a similarity between these two separate things). If I am asked enough times, I will eventually cave in because I can only take but so much pestering.

I’m pretty sure God knows what I’m talking about here, even if you don’t. In Luke 18, Jesus is talking about prayer, and he relates it to a judge in a city who neither feared God nor respected man. However, there was a widow who kept pestering him for legal protection against her adversary. At first the judge stood his ground and was unwilling to approve her petition, however he finally gave in because, “otherwise by continually come she will wear me out.”(Luke 18:5) Jesus goes on to relate this parable to God, who will grant just to those who cry out day and night. But then Jesus asks a VERY interesting question: “However, when the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on the earth?”(Luke 18:8)

Why I find that so interesting is that my sons know that if they ask me enough times for something (within reason), they will get it. Same with my wife. And all my dogs have to do is follow me around with those sad eyes, and of course I’ll give them a treat. Each one of them knows this with a certainty, and they are not surprised at all when I cave in – because they have faith that I will give them what they want. Why does it surprise us when God answers our prayers? Do we truly not have faith that He hears us? Find what your hearts desire/need is right now, cry out to God “day and night,” and believe that the answer will come.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.