Tuesday, November 11, 2008

What am I going to say? - Devotion for 11/11/08

What am I going to say? – Devotion for 11/11/08

Do you ever find yourself worrying about what you are going to say before you even have to say something? So many times before I have a meeting I tell myself, “I am not going to say anything other than what I have to.” I say that because I know how I am, and I have a tendency to say more than I should, or begin to get passionate about something and say something that I probably shouldn’t. So I go into a meeting just constantly reminding myself, “I’m not going to say anything – I’m going to keep quiet – I’m only going to say what I have prepared to say.” Unfortunately, that plan doesn’t always work, and I’m not sure that is always a bad thing.

This morning in my devotion time I read Luke 12:1-12, and in particular this passage Jesus is talking about hypocrisy. As the passage reminds us to live a life of integrity and not concealing who or what we actually are, verses 11-12 read, “When they bring you before the synagogues and the rulers and authorities, do not worry about how or what you are to speak in your defense, or what you are to say; for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.” As I read that I believe that although it is a good and safe plan to be prepared when I go into a meeting, there will be times that the Holy Spirit is truly guiding me to speak what has been laid upon my heart. Just like the passage from yesterday said regarding God instructing us in the night, He can also guide and instruct us in the day, and instead of going in with a plan to silence what He lays upon my heart, maybe I need to listen a little more closely to what He is saying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay I have the whole say more than I need to thing down pat! Just so you know...I tend to speak from the heart and not my head which does get me in trouble, but I generally feel better after the fact...so wonder what God would think about that? I know there are times when I really should just SHUT UP! I can't help myself..diarhea(sp) of the mouth so to speak. I really enjoy reading your devotions Adam...I (we) miss you so much.

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.