Thursday, November 13, 2008

My right hand man - Devotion for 11/13/08

My right hand man – Devotion for 11/13/08

Last month my family and I went to the North Carolina State Fair. Exciting carnival games, fried food, fried food that was then subsequently fried again – and then covered with sugar, sideshows (although some of the best were the free ones where you got to watch the natives eat some of the fried food), all the animals (no – I don’t mean the natives), and last but not least – the rides! I did not ride too many of the rides this time, but the boys had a blast. There was one particular ride that one of the boys wanted to go on, however the other did not want to ride it, and he absolutely would not ride it. Neither Jenn nor I had any real interest in riding it either. But the thing was that as bad as he wanted to ride it, he didn’t want to ride it alone.

We take great comfort in knowing that we are not alone. We want someone to be with us when we ride the scary rides, and we want someone to ride with us to the doctor. We want someone to be with us when we go to eat at a restaurant, and we want someone to be with us when we are driving in the car (if you don’t believe me, pay attention to how many people are driving alone yet are talking on the cell phone). We want to be with someone. Being with someone make the experience more complete. Being with someone makes the experience more real. Being with someone makes the experience more bearable. Being with someone makes everything more.

I referenced Psalm 16 earlier this week, but as I’ve read that Psalm each day this week, I continue to be drawn to two particular verses – verses 8-9: “I have set the Lord continually before me; Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my glory rejoices; My flesh also will dwell securely.” We need to be reminded that we are not alone in any of our endeavors. We need to be reminded to “set the Lord before us.” And we need to be reminded to rejoice that we have one who desires to be our “right hand man.”

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.