Thursday, October 16, 2008

What do you think? - Devotional for 10/16/08

What do you think? – Devotion for 10/16/08

Have you ever offered your opinion to someone whether they wanted your opinion or not? No? Really? Because I know I’ve shared mine more than a time or two, and I know people have shared their opinion with me more than a time or two. Whether it was something completely random about something I was wearing, such as “You know, that tie really doesn’t go well with that suit”; or maybe it was something about my personality like, “You know, you’d make a really good kindergarten teacher.” Sometimes the opinions people share with you creates an awkward space that you get to temporarily dwell in, and it is all because someone gave you an opinion that you didn’t ask for. But just because you didn’t ask for it doesn’t stop them, does it? Nor does it stop you from giving you opinion. We give our unsolicited opinions all the time regarding politics (got a bumper sticker on your car?), sports affiliations (got a decal or license plate cover anywhere on your vehicle?), or even how good of a driver someone is (that 1 finger means you think they are #1, right?). We do those things with our cars, and we wear the t-shirts, but do we speak of the things we truly believe? Of course we do! All the time!

2 Corinthians 4:13 states, “Having the same spirit of faith, according to what is written, ‘I believed, therefore I spoke,’ we also believe, therefore we also speak.” If we truly believe something, then it is not something we can keep quiet. People that believe strongly in something will refuse to keep silent. I heard Andy Stanley talking recently about how ridiculous it was for people to say that they can’t talk about their faith to other people because they don’t want to alienate them. We don’t mind alienating people about hundreds of other things, why wouldn’t we alienate them about something we truly believe in? Something that truly matters? I’m not saying to go beat people over the head with the Bible (trust me – I tried that once – if you do it, don’t use a soft cover!), but what I am saying is that in conversations where it is relevant, do not hide what you believe.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.