Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I can't stay - Devotion for 10/21/08

I can’t stay – Devotion for 10/21/08

My family and I visited the NC State Fair this past Saturday, and we had a great time. The boys got to ride some fun rides, we got to see the animals, we got to eat some wonderful food, and I even got to witness the magic show called “My Disappearing Money” – AKA the ridiculous fair games. As much fun as we had, we knew that eventually we would need to leave. That thought is always with me when I am somewhere and I am experiencing a real “mountain top” type experience. Whether it is a spiritual retreat, a vacation, or even a quick day trip to the State Fair, even in the midst of the joy of the moment is the hint of sorrow that I must leave that mountain top. And I can only imagine what that felt like to “Legion.”

In Mark 5:1-20, we learn about the man who was possessed by many demons, and when Jesus asked him his name, he replied “We are Legion; for we are many.” You know the story – Jesus casts out the demons into a herd of swine who are nearby, and then all 2,000 swine go running and jump off a cliff into the sea and drown. What is really remarkable to me is what takes place after that. Verse 15 tells us that Jesus and “Legion” were sitting down together, and I can only imagine what they were talking about. After people came out to see what had been going on, they became scared Jesus may hurt their own line of work and they implored him to leave. As Jesus is getting into the boat, we are told that “Legion” was begging Jesus that he might be able to go with him. Imagine that – Legion had not had peace for years. For year he had been untamed, breaking the chains every time they tried to control him, harming himself with stones, and constantly screaming night and day. And now Jesus had brought him peace. If I was Legion, I would have wanted to go with Jesus as well just to ensure that I wouldn’t have to suffer like that again. But Jesus did not let him stay with him, saying “Go home to your people and report to them what great things the Lord has done for you, and how He had mercy on you.”(Mark 5:19)

I think Jesus says the same thing to us when we have those special moments and experiences. Though we would love to stay in the moment, we know that we can’t stay in that moment. We have a responsibility to go and report what God has done. Enjoy those mountain top moments, but know we can’t stay at the mountain, and we’ve got to go and report “what great things the Lord has done.”

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.