Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Thy will be done - Devotion for 7/31/07

Thy will be done – Devotion for 7/31/07

Even though it is a part of the prayer that Jesus himself taught us to pray, I’m not sure too many of us really incorporate “thy will be done” in our own personal prayers. Sure, we may actually say it, but I’m not sure how many of us really mean it. Our prayers and prayer requests are often filled with listing our problems, and then giving God the solution we deem best, or at least a multiple choice of which solutions would be acceptable to us. “Lord, this would all be better if You would just . . .” But that is not the way Jesus taught us to pray, is it? Jesus taught us to pray and accept that the Lord’s will will be done, whether we think it is a good idea or not. If we pray “thy will be done,” that is our letting go of whatever ails us and accepting whatever God’s plans are for us. Since God is omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent, why would we not always be willing to accept God’s will? Why do we continue to tell God what we believe the best solution would be?

As a father, if one of my sons was to come to me and present a problem, I would hope that they would allow me to provide the solution that I believe to be best. When they bring a problem to me, I don’t see that as an opportunity to make things worse for them, although it may seem that way to them. For instance when one of them falls and gets a bad cut or scrape and they come to me bleeding. The first thing I am going to do is actually the last thing that they want me to do – I clean it. Cleaning out the scrape or cut can be painful – after all, it is a fresh wound and blood is still pouring out. Washing over the scrape with soap and water, my sons will cry out as if I am torturing them (which I only do when they won’t clean their room). Eventually we’ll get some antibiotic ointment and a band-aid on the boo-boo, and things are better – but we have to go through the crying and screaming first so that the wound can heal properly. Now that they know the routine, they are a little more reluctant to come to me when they have a scrape or cut, because they know it is going to hurt if I do what I deem best – to first clean the wound. When they do come to me, they may through the sobs and tears tell me about their “injury,” and then just ask me to put a band-aid on it. They present the solution they want instead of giving me the opportunity to do what I know they need, and it frustrates me. It frustrates me because I don’t want them to think that my cleaning out the wound causes unnecessary suffering – I would never want to cause unnecessary suffering on the children that I helped bring into this world. It frustrates me because I would hope that they know that I only want the best for them, and I only want to do what is right for them.

Today, and this week, as problems and situations arise in your life, simply say to God “Thy will be done.” If I as an earthly father would only want the best for my children, then surely our heavenly Father would only want the best for each one of us. If we trust that “Father knows best,” then although we may be led through painful circumstances, we will be led with a greater purpose and vision than we could ever have on our own. Today in your prayers, instead of lifting up the prayer concerns and solutions you would deem acceptable, trust God that His will would be done.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.