Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Expecting Bad Service - Devotion for 7/18/07

Expecting Bad Service – Devotion for 7/18/07

Do you ever find yourself going to get something to eat somewhere, and before you even order you just know that you are going to get bad service? Many times I know before I even go to certain places that although I like the food, I know that the service is going to be bad. It is such a revelation, however, when you expect bad service but instead you receive excellent service. Which means, you actually got the kind of service that you should be getting, but rarely do. You know, no matter how good the food is, the service will make or break whether or not we will ever eat there again. We may have bad food, but if the service was excellent it is easier to pass it off as we just picked the wrong items, so maybe we should try it again. If the food is excellent, but the service is short, rude, and with a demeanor that serving me is the last thing on earth that he or she wants to be doing, then I rarely will give that place a second shot. However, in this day and time, it seems that anywhere I go now I am expecting bad service – and that should not be the norm.

Sometimes I think we approach our prayer life in the same way we do our dining options – expecting bad service. We may go to God in prayer and lifting up specific things to Him, but I don’t think we usually expect God to answer those prayers. Isn’t it funny how surprised we get when we finally understand God’s answer to our prayers? Why is that? Shouldn’t we expect the best kind of service from a God who gave His Son so that we might have life? This morning I read from Micah 7, and Micah 7:7 reads, “But as for me, I will watch expectantly for the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation. My God will hear me.” Today when you lift up your prayers to the Lord, don’t expect that you might get an answer. Today when you lift up your prayers to the Lord, expect that He will hear you – expect that He will answer. A Christian should never be surprised when God answers our prayers.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.