Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Powerful voice - Devotion for 1/27/09

Powerful Voice – Devotion for 1/27/09

In Genesis 1 we have this amazing creation image where God speaks, and something happens. In my devotion time this morning I was to read from Genesis 1:1-19, and it made me think about how I have the power and ability to create with my voice as well! In fact, several years ago I could create a sleeping baby with the gentle sound of my voice singing a lullaby to my sons. Moments later I could create a crying baby as I exclaimed too loudly, “I finally got him to sleep!” With my voice, I can create feelings of satisfaction, as I give praise to my wife over the meal she made. And with my voice I can create feelings of resentment, as maybe I offered up too much criticism on something. Without a doubt, I have a powerful voice. Unfortunately I am not always mindful of how I use it.

As God spoke, “Let there be light,” and then there was light, God was mindful of the power of His voice. Through His voice and His word, He created things that would benefit others. Today that is going to be my goal - that I will ever be cognizant of the ways that I use my voice, and that I may use it in such a way as to create something of benefit for someone else.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a minister in North Carolina.